The Burning of the General Slocum: New York's Deadliest Day Before 9/11
At 9:40 on the morning of June 15, 1904, a sidewheel steamer called the PS General Slocum pulled away from a pier on the Lower East Side of Manhattan and turned north up the East River. On board were nearly 1,400 passengers — almost all of them women and children from St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church in the Kleindeutschland neighborhood, Manhattan's dense German-American enclave. The children wore their Sunday school clothes. A German band played on the upper deck. Mothers carried wicker picnic baskets. The church had chartered the boat for $350, its seventeenth consecutive annual outing to a picnic site on Long Island's north shore.
Thirty minutes into the voyage, as the Slocum approached the treacherous tidal narrows at Hell Gate, a boy spotted fire in the lamp room below the main deck. A crewman tried to stamp it out with charcoal. The flames only grew. When the crew grabbed the fire hoses, the rubber was so rotted the hoses burst open under pressure. The six lifeboats had been painted to the deck and could not be pried loose. The cork life preservers — inspected and certified just five weeks earlier — had been filled with cheap granulated cork and iron bars to meet weight requirements. When passengers strapped them on and jumped, the vests disintegrated on impact or dragged them under.
Captain William Van Schaick, his feet blistering from the heat below, made the decision to beach the burning ship on the nearest land: the rocky southern shore of North Brother Island, where the city's quarantine hospital stood. The ship's speed fanned the fire into a furnace. By the time the hull ground against the shallows, the Slocum was consumed from stem to stern. Fewer than twenty minutes had elapsed between the first flame and the collapse of the hurricane deck.
On the island, staff at Riverside Hospital — doctors and nurses trained to manage smallpox and tuberculosis patients — heard the fire whistle and ran to the shore. They threw ropes and debris into the water for passengers to cling to. Nurses waded into the East River and pulled burned survivors onto the rocks. Some dove in fully clothed. The hospital's engines pumped water in a futile effort to douse the blaze. A dozen tugboats and fireboats converged on the scene, some catching fire themselves during the rescue. A ten-month-old boy floated to shore uninjured but orphaned, and lay unclaimed in a hospital ward for days until his grandmother identified him. Eleven-year-old Willie Keppler, who had sneaked aboard without his parents' permission, survived the chaos of drowning non-swimmers pulling each other under — then was too terrified of punishment to go home. He returned only after seeing his own name listed among the dead in the next morning's newspaper.
The final count was 1,021 dead — most of them women and children. Until the attacks of September 11, 2001, it was the single deadliest day in New York City history. The disaster surpassed even the sinking of the Titanic as the century's worst maritime catastrophe — a record the Slocum held for eight years.
North Brother Island had been built to isolate the contagious. On that June morning, the island's purpose inverted: it became the place where the healthy came to die, and the quarantined came to save them. This inversion captures the island's entire history. For eighty years, North Brother served as New York City's twenty-acre mechanism for erasure — the place where the city deposited the contagious, the inconvenient, and the addicted, everything the mainland wanted to forget. Then the city forgot the island itself.
The Death of Kleindeutschland: How a Picnic Boat Erased a Neighborhood
The Lower East Side streets became corridors of funeral carriages. More than 600 families in Kleindeutschland lost someone in the fire. The desolate schoolyards — emptied of the children who had boarded the Slocum that morning — stood as the most visible evidence of the scale. Some families lost every member. The neighborhood's population had been disproportionately female and young on the day of the disaster because the men were at work; the annual church outing was a tradition for mothers and children. Entire bloodlines vanished in twenty minutes.
Grief turned to fury. President Theodore Roosevelt appointed a federal Commission of Investigation, which found catastrophic negligence at every level: the Knickerbocker Steamboat Company had not paid dividends in six years and had deferred all maintenance; the U.S. Steamboat Inspection Service had certified rotten equipment; the life preservers were fraudulent. Captain Van Schaick was convicted of criminal negligence and sentenced to ten years in prison, though Roosevelt later pardoned him.
The community never recovered. Within months of the last burial, more than a quarter of the families connected to the disaster had left the Lower East Side. Many moved north to Yorkville on the Upper East Side; others returned to Germany. Kleindeutschland — Little Germany, one of Manhattan's most established immigrant neighborhoods — ceased to exist. Polish and Russian Jewish immigrants filled the vacated tenements. The German-American community that had anchored the neighborhood for decades simply dissolved.
In 1906, the city dedicated a small memorial fountain in Tompkins Square Park. The Organization of the General Slocum Survivors held annual commemorations, but attendance dwindled with each passing year. By 1979, an estimated twenty-one survivors remained. The last of them, Adella Wotherspoon — who had been six months old on the day of the fire, and whose two older sisters, two cousins, and two aunts perished — died in January 2004, one hundred years after the disaster. As a toddler of two and a half, she had been lifted onto a podium in Tompkins Square to unveil the memorial fountain. At a commemoration in 1999, she offered the reason the Slocum had faded from memory while the Titanic endured: "The Titanic had a great many famous people on it. This was just a family picnic."
Riverside Hospital and the Quarantine Islands of New York
The General Slocum disaster was not the reason North Brother Island existed. The island had been serving its original, grimmer purpose for two decades before the burning steamer beached itself on its shore.
Smallpox, Typhus, and the Politics of Isolation
New York City in the 1880s was a metropolis buckling under its own growth. Tenement neighborhoods on the Lower East Side packed dozens of families into buildings designed for four. Tuberculosis, typhus, smallpox, and yellow fever swept through the immigrant wards in rolling waves. The city's public health apparatus — rudimentary and underfunded — relied on a brutal but effective strategy: remove the contagious from the population and put them somewhere the healthy could not reach. Islands were the answer.
Blackwell's Island (now Roosevelt Island) had already served this function, housing the city's smallpox hospital alongside its lunatic asylum and workhouse. By the 1880s, Blackwell's was overcrowded and the proximity of its institutions — the sick, the mad, and the criminal pressed together on a narrow strip of land — had become a political embarrassment. The city needed a new quarantine site, and North Brother Island, a twenty-acre patch of uninhabited land in the East River between the Bronx and what would become Rikers Island, fit the requirement perfectly: isolated, accessible only by water, and far enough from the wealthy Bronx estates to avoid complaint.
The city purchased the island in 1885 and relocated Riverside Hospital from Blackwell's Island. The facility expanded rapidly: wards for smallpox, pavilions for tuberculosis, isolation cottages for typhus. A coal-fired power plant, a morgue, staff dormitories, doctors' residences, a chapel, and a network of paved roads turned the island into a self-contained institutional campus. At its peak, Riverside operated as a small city of contagion — patients ferried in by boat, confined until cured or dead, their bodies processed through the island's own mortuary system. The quarantine was not voluntary. Under sections 1169 and 1170 of the Greater New York City Charter, the Health Department had the legal authority to forcibly detain anyone deemed a threat to public health. For the thousands of immigrants who arrived on North Brother Island's docks, the island was not a hospital in any modern sense. It was a place of exile, separated from the city by a current that might as well have been an ocean — much like Poveglia, the Venetian plague island that served the same function for centuries across the Atlantic.
Typhoid Mary: America's Most Famous Prisoner of Public Health
The island's most enduring story is not the General Slocum. It is the twenty-six-year captivity of a single woman who never showed a symptom of the disease that defined her life.
The Cook Who Left Typhoid in Every Kitchen
Mary Mallon was born in Cookstown, County Tyrone, Ireland, in 1869 and emigrated to the United States at the age of fifteen. She found work as a domestic cook — a skilled one, by all accounts — in wealthy households across New York City and Long Island. Between 1900 and 1907, typhoid fever broke out in seven of the eight households where she was employed. Mallon moved on after each outbreak, leaving no forwarding address.
In 1906, a wealthy banker named Charles Henry Warren rented a summer residence in Oyster Bay, Long Island. Six of the eleven people in the household fell ill with typhoid within weeks of Mallon's arrival. Warren hired George Soper, a sanitary engineer with the New York City Department of Health whose specialty was epidemic investigation. Soper traced the trail of infections across years and boroughs, linking twenty-two confirmed cases of typhoid to a single common factor: Mary Mallon's kitchen.
Soper tracked Mallon to a Park Avenue residence in Manhattan and confronted her, requesting stool and urine samples. She refused — violently, by most accounts, chasing him from the premises with a carving fork. Soper enlisted the help of Dr. S. Josephine Baker of the Health Department, who arrived at Mallon's residence with five police officers in March 1907. Mallon evaded them for five hours, hiding in a neighbor's outdoor closet before being physically restrained and transported to Riverside Hospital on North Brother Island.
Her stool tested positive for Salmonella typhi. Mallon felt perfectly healthy and would continue to feel perfectly healthy for the rest of her life. She was the first person in the United States identified as an asymptomatic carrier of typhoid fever — a concept that was itself barely understood by the medical establishment. The Health Department confined her to a small brick cottage on the island grounds. She could walk the island freely, attend the chapel, and use the hospital facilities, but she could not leave. In 1909, she unsuccessfully sued the Health Department for her release. The New York American, likely funding her legal costs, introduced her to the public as "'Typhoid Mary,' most harmless and yet the most dangerous woman in America."
The 23-Year Sentence on North Brother Island
In 1910, the Health Department released Mallon on one condition: she was never to work as a cook again. She agreed. For a time, she took jobs as a laundress — work that paid a fraction of a cook's wages. The arrangement lasted roughly a year.
By 1914, the Department of Health had lost track of her whereabouts. Mallon had returned to cooking under the name Mary Brown. In January 1915, a typhoid outbreak struck the Sloane Maternity Hospital in Manhattan — twenty-five cases, two deaths. Soper was called to investigate, compared the handwriting of "Mary Brown" with Mallon's, and confirmed the match. The Sanitary Police apprehended her on March 27, 1915.
This time, there would be no release. Mallon was returned to North Brother Island, to the same cottage, for what would become the remaining twenty-three years of her life. She spent her days baking cakes and crafting bead jewelry, which she sold to staff and patients. By 1918 she had secured a job in the hospital; by 1925, she was assisting in the laboratory — cleaning glassware, recording test results, handling the very pathogens that had imprisoned her. The irony was not lost on the staff, but Mallon was capable and meticulous, and the island had limited labor.
On Christmas morning 1932, a man delivering supplies found Mallon collapsed on the floor of her bungalow. She had suffered a stroke and never walked again. For six years she lay paralyzed in Riverside Hospital, the institution that had been her jailer. She died of pneumonia on November 11, 1938, at the age of sixty-nine. The autopsy confirmed what the Health Department had long insisted: live typhoid bacilli still thrived in her gallbladder. Her body was buried at St. Raymond's Cemetery in the Bronx. Nine people attended the funeral.
The ethical dimensions of Mallon's case have sharpened with time. Over four hundred asymptomatic typhoid carriers were identified in New York during the same period. Some infected far more people — a carrier named Tony Labella was linked to over one hundred cases. None were confined for more than a few weeks. None were imprisoned for life. Mallon was an Irish immigrant, a working-class woman, and a cook in wealthy households — a combination of class, gender, and ethnicity that made her an easy target for a public health system that needed a visible symbol of contagion. Her story is not simply a medical curiosity. It is a case study in who gets sacrificed when a city decides to protect itself — and who gets to walk free. In its use of island isolation as a tool of indefinite confinement, Mallon's captivity carries echoes of Alcatraz, another rock in another river, where the logic was the same: put the problem where no one has to see it.
Veterans, Teenage Addicts, and the Island's Final Decline
Riverside Hospital's quarantine mission wound down in the 1930s as advances in public health — vaccination, antibiotics, improved sanitation — reduced the need to exile the contagious to islands. The tuberculosis pavilion, completed in 1943, was obsolete before it opened. The hospital closed that same year, and North Brother Island sat empty for the first time in six decades.
A GI Bill Paradise in the East River
The vacancy was brief. After World War II, New York City faced a severe housing shortage as hundreds of thousands of veterans returned home. The city repurposed North Brother Island as temporary housing for veterans and their families, many of them attending college on the GI Bill. From 1946 to 1951, the former quarantine colony became something improbable: a small residential community. Families occupied the converted hospital buildings. Children commuted by ferry to schools in the Bronx. One veteran's wife, interviewed decades later by photographer Christopher Payne, recalled the island as an idyllic place to raise a family — quiet, green, surrounded by water, the Manhattan skyline glittering across the channel at night.
The housing shortage eased. The families left. The island went dark again.
The Teen Drug Rehabilitation Center That Ended in Scandal
In 1952, the city converted North Brother Island into a rehabilitation center for adolescent heroin addicts — one of the first facilities in the country to attempt treatment, education, and rehabilitation for young drug offenders. The island's isolation, which had once contained disease, was now meant to contain addiction.
The reality was grimmer than the mission statement. Heroin users were confined to the facility and locked in rooms until they completed withdrawal. Many believed they were being held against their will — a perception that was, in practical terms, accurate. The program's methods reflected the era's understanding of addiction: punishment and containment rather than therapy or medical intervention, an approach strikingly similar to the one that had shaped institutions like the Trans-Allegheny Lunatic Asylum a century earlier. Relapse rates were devastating. Staff corruption became endemic. By the early 1960s, the gap between the facility's stated mission and its operational reality had become indefensible.
The rehabilitation center closed in 1963. The facility is said to have inspired the Broadway play Does a Tiger Wear a Necktie?, which opened in 1969 and launched the career of a young Al Pacino in a role that earned him a Tony Award. The play depicted life inside a drug treatment facility on an island — a setting its audiences could not have known was drawn almost directly from the last chapter of North Brother Island's inhabited life.
No one has lived on the island since.
North Brother Island Today: The Ruins Nature Reclaimed
25 Buildings Swallowed by the Forest
Sixty years without maintenance have done what fire, disease, and institutional neglect could not. The twenty-five buildings on North Brother Island — including the four-story tuberculosis pavilion, the nurses' residence, the doctors' quarters, the morgue, the coal-fired power plant, and the service buildings — are in advanced stages of collapse. Trees grow through shattered windows. Vines have woven themselves into the skeletal frames of ward buildings, pulling walls apart from the inside. Roofs have caved in. Stair treads are missing. Floors have given way to the basement below. Beneath the canopy of English ivy, kudzu, and native sugar maples, the paved roads and fire hydrants that once connected a functioning campus have vanished under decades of leaf litter and root growth.
Photographer Christopher Payne, who was granted access by the NYC Parks Department in 2006, spent years documenting the decay across multiple seasons. His photographs — published in North Brother Island: The Last Unknown Place in New York City — capture a place that looks less like a ruin than like a time-lapse of civilization being digested. The transformation from functioning institutional campus to unrecognizable forest took not centuries but decades. The buildings that once held smallpox patients and teenage heroin addicts are now indistinguishable from the landscape that has consumed them, much like the ruins of Pripyat, where nature has been conducting the same slow experiment since 1986. The parallel extends to Hashima Island, Japan's abandoned concrete battleship — another dense institutional community on a tiny island, left to the elements within sight of the mainland.
The experience of standing on the island is defined by contradiction. The Manhattan skyline is visible. The hum of traffic on the Bruckner Expressway carries across the water. Planes descend into LaGuardia overhead. The city is right there — audible, visible, close enough to feel its presence — and yet the island is profoundly, unnervingly empty. The sensation, as Payne described it, is of walking back into another world while the sounds of the present century refuse to stop.
A Bird Sanctuary Built on a Century of Tragedy
The NYC Parks Department took ownership of North Brother Island in 2001 and designated it, along with adjacent South Brother Island, as part of the Harbor Herons Region — a network of uninhabited islands and marshes that serve as critical nesting habitat for colonial wading birds. Black-crowned night herons, snowy egrets, and double-crested cormorants now breed in the ruins of buildings that once housed smallpox patients. The collapsed rooftops and overgrown walls provide exactly the combination of structure, seclusion, and proximity to food that the birds require. The East River, once a corridor of quarantine ferries and burning steamships, now feeds a modest ecosystem of fish, herons, and silence.
The island's restricted status has generated its own mythology. Paranormal investigators cite the General Slocum dead, the quarantine patients who never left, and the decades of suffering within the hospital wards as evidence that the island is among New York's most haunted sites. A more creative strain of urban speculation — fueled by the proximity to Rikers Island, the police patrols on the East River, and the absolute prohibition on public access — has produced persistent rumors that one of the crumbling buildings conceals, or once concealed, a covert intelligence facility. The rumor is almost certainly baseless, a product of the same conspiratorial logic that attaches itself to any sufficiently restricted space in a city that otherwise has none. The mundane truth requires no embellishment: the buildings are riddled with asbestos, the floors are full of holes, and the city has neither the budget nor the political will to make them safe.
Proposals for the island have surfaced and stalled for decades. Mayor John Lindsay proposed selling it. Mayor Ed Koch suggested converting it to housing for the homeless. In the mid-1970s, Bronx Borough President Robert Abrams blocked a plan to auction the island for $1 million, arguing the sale was short-sighted. In 2014, City Council member Mark Levine led a delegation to the island and declared his intent to open it for limited public access. A study was commissioned from the University of Pennsylvania's School of Design. A public hearing followed. The estimated cost of building a dock, blazing safe paths, and stabilizing even a few buildings proved prohibitive. No steps were taken.
North Brother Island remains what it has been for sixty years: a place the city cannot use, cannot sell, and cannot bring itself to demolish. The herons nest. The buildings crumble. The island waits.
Visiting North Brother Island: The Atlas Entry
Can You Visit North Brother Island?
Public access to North Brother Island is prohibited. The island is managed by the NYC Parks Department as protected wildlife habitat, and trespassing is illegal. Occasional permits are granted to researchers, journalists, and city officials — all visits require a Parks Department escort and a signed liability waiver acknowledging the structural hazards, including asbestos, unstable floors, and open manholes. Permits are not issued between late March and September to protect the bird nesting season.
The closest most visitors will come to North Brother Island is a glimpse. The island is visible from the window seat of a plane descending into LaGuardia Airport, from the Bruckner Expressway in the Bronx, and from the shoreline near Barretto Point Park in Hunts Point. The ruins are difficult to distinguish from the surrounding tree canopy without binoculars.
The General Slocum Memorial Fountain in Tompkins Square Park (East Village, Manhattan) remains the most accessible physical monument to the island's history. A ceremony is held at the fountain each June 15. A larger memorial to the Slocum victims stands at the Lutheran All Faiths Cemetery in Middle Village, Queens, where many of the dead were buried. A plaque honoring the victims hangs on the facade of St. Mark's Evangelical Lutheran Church on East 6th Street, the congregation that chartered the doomed voyage.
For those drawn to New York's archipelago of forgotten islands, North Brother sits within a constellation of restricted and abandoned sites scattered across the city's waterways. Hart Island, just north in Long Island Sound, serves as the city's potter's field — a mass burial ground for the unclaimed dead that is itself slowly opening to limited public visitation. Together, these islands form a shadow geography of New York: the places where the city sent the people and problems it preferred not to see, and where the evidence of that erasure is still visible — if you know where to look.
FAQ
What happened on North Brother Island?
North Brother Island served as a quarantine hospital for infectious diseases from 1885 to 1943, housing patients with smallpox, typhus, and tuberculosis at Riverside Hospital. It was the site of the General Slocum steamship disaster in 1904, which killed 1,021 people — the deadliest event in New York City history until 9/11. The island also held Mary Mallon, known as Typhoid Mary, for twenty-six years. After World War II, it briefly housed veterans' families, then operated as a teenage drug rehabilitation center until corruption forced its closure in 1963. The island has been abandoned ever since.
Can you visit North Brother Island?
Public access to North Brother Island is prohibited. The island is a designated bird sanctuary managed by the NYC Parks Department, and trespassing is illegal. Occasional permits are granted to researchers, journalists, and city officials, but all visits require a Parks escort and a signed liability waiver. Permits are not issued between late March and September to protect the nesting season of colonial wading birds. The island is visible from planes landing at LaGuardia, from the Bruckner Expressway, and from the Hunts Point shoreline in the Bronx.
Who was Typhoid Mary and why was she on North Brother Island?
Mary Mallon was an Irish-born cook who became the first person in the United States identified as an asymptomatic carrier of typhoid fever. Between 1900 and 1907, she infected at least twenty-two people across multiple households. She was forcibly quarantined at Riverside Hospital on North Brother Island in 1907, released in 1910 on the condition she never cook again, then re-arrested in 1915 after causing another outbreak at a Manhattan maternity hospital. She spent the remaining twenty-three years of her life confined to the island, dying of pneumonia in 1938 at the age of sixty-nine.
What was the General Slocum disaster?
The PS General Slocum was a passenger steamboat that caught fire in the East River on June 15, 1904, while carrying approximately 1,400 members of a German-American Lutheran church on their annual picnic outing. The fire hoses were rotted, the lifeboats were painted shut, and the life preservers were filled with disintegrating cork and iron bars. The captain beached the burning ship on North Brother Island, but 1,021 passengers — mostly women and children — died by fire or drowning in under twenty minutes. The disaster destroyed the Kleindeutschland neighborhood on Manhattan's Lower East Side.
Why is North Brother Island abandoned?
The island's quarantine hospital closed in 1943 as public health advances made island isolation obsolete. After brief stints as veterans' housing and a drug rehabilitation center, the last residents left in 1963. Since then, proposals to repurpose the island — including selling it, converting it to homeless housing, or opening it as a public park — have repeatedly stalled due to prohibitive costs. Building a dock, stabilizing the crumbling structures, and remediating the asbestos contamination would require millions of dollars the city has never allocated.
What is on North Brother Island today?
Twenty-five buildings remain on the island in advanced stages of collapse, including the tuberculosis pavilion, the nurses' residence, the morgue, and a coal-fired power plant. Trees grow through windows, vines pull walls apart, and roofs have caved in. The island is now a wildlife sanctuary and part of the Harbor Herons Region, providing nesting habitat for black-crowned night herons, snowy egrets, and double-crested cormorants. Nature has almost entirely reclaimed the built environment.
Sources
- [Ship Ablaze: The Tragedy of the Steamboat General Slocum] - Edward T. O'Donnell, Broadway Books (2003)
- [Typhoid Mary: Captive to the Public's Health] - Judith Walzer Leavitt, Beacon Press (1996)
- [North Brother Island: The Last Unknown Place in New York City] - Christopher Payne, with history by Randall Mason, Fordham University Press (2014)
- [Damnation Island: Poor, Sick, Mad & Criminal in 19th-Century New York] - Stacy Horn, Algonquin Books (2018)
- [Mary Mallon (1869–1938) and the History of Typhoid Fever] - Marineli et al., Annals of Gastroenterology, PMC (2013)
- [Witness to Tragedy: The Sinking of the General Slocum] - New-York Historical Society, Digital Collections
- [Report of the United States Commission of Investigation upon the Disaster to the Steamer General Slocum] - U.S. Department of Commerce and Labor (1904)
- [General Slocum Disaster] - NYC Parks Department, Astoria Park Highlights
- [Typhoid Mary's Life Sentence in Quarantine] - Dr. Howard Markel, PBS NewsHour (2014)
- [The Other Islands of New York City] - Sharon Seitz and Stuart Miller, The Countryman Press (2011)









